Settling means you can stay in the UK without any time restrictions. Non-EEA migrants can settle in the UK via various routes such as through investment, employment, marriage or long residency etc.
Find out if you can apply for settlement (also called ‘indefinite leave to remain’) in the UK and get a free assessment, please contact us.
There are different ways to become a British citizen. The most common is called ‘naturalisation’.
You can apply for British citizenship by naturalisation if:
  • you’re 18 or over
  • you’re of sound mind
  • you’re of good character
  • you’ll continue to live in the UK
  • you have met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
You must usually also have:
  • lived in the UK for at least the 5 years (3 years if you are married to, or the civil partner of, a British citizen, i.e. spouse route hereafter) before the date of your application
  • spent no more than 450 days (270 days via spouse route) outside the UK during those 5 years (3 years via spouse route)
  • spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months
  • been granted indefinite leave to stay in the UK, ie there’s no specific date that you have to leave
  • had indefinite leave to stay in the UK for the last 12 months (application via spouse route does not need to wait for 12 months. Application can be submitted immediately)
  • not broken any immigration laws while in the UK
Astor Visas can provide you with practical, expert advice and guidance on a whole range of settlement and nationality issues such as:
Indefinite Leave to Remain
• Advice on Lengthy Absences for Frequent Travellers
• Naturalisation as a British Citizen
• Registration as a British Citizen
• Life in the UK Test
For further details and free assessment, please contact us.

Go Back